Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Back-To-School

This is our table =) This is where we do all of our work

Well, we made it through our first day of school! It was pretty easy to get back into it. I wasn't sure how I was going to do this. I read several blogs from other homeschooling moms and at times I feel almost like I'm doing it all wrong. Like, they know something about home school that I don't. Then I realize there are no rules and I can do it how ever our family needs things to be done. This is hard for me. I need rules, I work better with knowing how it should be done. I have read that some have classes where ever the mood strikes them; the couch, the table, the park, even the bedroom! Some parents report they have no set curriculum, they just "go with the flow" and believe that children will learn when they are ready. For example, if a child is ready to learn about why the sky is blue or how the car runs, they will ask. I know, please don't lecture me about this kind of learning =). There are many forms to homeschooling, many beliefs and religions. I can't point a finger at these schools or say they aren't doing it right, or should be doing something different anymore than I think someone should look at how I've decided to run mine.

The truth is, we are all homeschooling our kids for our own reasons. Those reasons determine how we will teach them. Some do it for their religion, some for the well being of the child, some do it because they have a child with special needs, or the child is not learning enough at school. Some do it for safety others do it because they think that public education is lacking.
For what ever the reason.... I am at awe at the amount of work it seems to take me! Why?

Well, I know this is going to shock you...but... I run a pretty strict ship here at the Eiffel Academy! My curriculum is not one set, page by page book we use. I do research on what we will be doing and every Sunday sit down with all of my books and computer and work on this weeks plan. One for each of the girls =)
I am homeschooling the girls because we believe the public education system, no matter it's 'wonderful intentions' is lacking. It's failing our children and our society. We are pushing kids through 12 years of school with no better than an 8th grade education and then throw them out into the world not knowing what in the hell is going on. There are too many rules for teachers, too much politics and too little learning. Too many kids in one class and not enough teacher to help those who need it. Too little time or energy or funding to push kids into expecting more out of themselves. Okay, off my soap box here =)

When setting up my school room, it never occurred to me that we didn't need a structure. A room for learning. A place of calm and peace and predictability. Having class in the bedroom or where ever we land every morning was not a thought that ever crossed my radar. I have to say, it's just not in me! There is NO WAY I, Dana, can just have a 'see how it goes' plan for the education of the girls. I can't even fathom how I would go about doing that? No, our poor children sit every morning at 8 am in our class room. We start with spelling, we do English, Math, take a break. We do Science and Social Studies, we read, we have computer time which includes; typing, writing letters, searches, games, learning CD's.... we practicing writing skills. We have a book shelf (we call a library) that we add to all the time from our local used book stores. We have a computer/media center, a filing cabinet, school supplies have homes, we have journals and work books, text books etc. We even have a bulletin board and a dry erase board. We have posters, maps, clocks and a globe. We even have a desk/table where we sit and work. It is called the classroom and it's no mystery as to what is going to happen in there!
The girls have a folder (one each) they turn in all their work at the end of the day. I grade them at the end of the week. Yes, we keep grades!! I am harsh about it too. We take tests and study. We get report cards. We are as much a regular school as you can get with out the federal funding =). The truth is while I am not a fan of how much my kids were learning in the public school. I am a fan of the structure. I think kids do better when they know what is expected of them, when they know whats going to be happening and have a routine. I think kids rise to the expectation you set for them and will push beyond them given the chance.

Yes, it's strict and a lot of hard work. However, we have some cool sides to our school too. Field trips, early days nearly everyday (we school from 8 till we are done about 12 or 1) days off for no reasons. sick days are not a big deal!! The girls love it, they are doing well and don't seem interested in going back to a regular school. They are socialized too in several of the million upcoming events and programs our co-op and support groups have going this year.

I get asked all the time 'how long do you plan on doing this?' The answer is until the girls graduate or I can no longer do it. We don't plan on bouncing them around cause it's hard or a lot of work. When we decided to do this, it was for good. A better or worse choice that we went all in on.

Today, was our first day of the school year. It was a light day and the girls loved the new ideas I had for this year. We have some very cool plans for this year and a ton of stuff we are going to be learning. We started a theme on Arctic animals for this month and the girls are going to be writing reports and a making a book. They seems happy about that this morning.
computer =)
working on some papers. Behind the girls is our book case, white board and prize box =)
 I took some pictures so I could put them on here. A lot of people keep asking me for them, so, I am going to attempt to show you our little world.

girls working hard
working together
our bulletin board-beneath it is where we keep our text books. Each section is a diff subject.
Our text books and my stuff. My printer (couldn't live with out!) a log cabin Kenz made last year, the laminate machine I kidnapped from my mom =) and my COFFEE!!!!

Our book shelf.  Each shelf is a different level of reading. It's way more organized than this looks. All the books are in alphabetical order and by type =)  To the right is our supplies and to the left is our white board

looking into our classroom
The picture above the white board says.'teachers are great! Whatever, can I have an A?' the girls love that poster
everything has a place!
from the front door..that black and white 'object' is Jasmine
our map and file cab.

Well, that's us! Our little world five mornings a week =)

No comments: